Five Ways to Protect Your Home From Wind Damage
Here in North Texas, we've been experiencing gusts of wind reaching up to 40MPH. Chances are, you've probably seen loose items blowing around or heard someone complaining about their outdoor furniture getting damaged. Although 40MPH winds may not be considered a windstorm, the gusts are most definitely strong enough to cause damage. Fortunately, there are some methods that have been proven to defend your home against wind damage.
Five Ways To Protect Your Home From Wind Damage
- If it's broke, fix it.
- Confirm that all of your roof shingles are secure.
- Repair loose or damaged fencing.
- Ensure that your garage door is in good condition.
- Secure outdoor items.
- Place chairs, toys, umbrellas, etc. in a shelter.
- Push heavier items such as grills or patio tables against a sturdy wall.
- Examine trees in your yard
- Loose branches may fly off and damage a window or a car.
- Dead trees can blow over on top of a structure.
- Move your vehicle to safety
- Park your vehicle under a shelter of some sort.
- If no shelter is available, avoid parking near a tree for the reason previously stated.
- Have an emergency plan in place.
- Make sure your insurance will cover possible damages.
- Keep a restoration company that you trust in mind just in case damages occur.
- Stock the most well-protected room in your house stocked with emergency items.
Be sure to routinely check and maintain your home so you're prepared for whatever storm may come your way. However, if you do happen to find yourself in a sticky situation, SERVPRO of Parker and Northeast Hood Counties is able and willing to help! We are available 24/7 to take the stress of storm damage off of your shoulders!
Give us a call at 817-596-8714