Recent Fire Damage Posts

Is Your Dryer a Fire Hazard?

7/27/2021 (Permalink)

According to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly 17,000 clothes dryer fires are reported yearly.  These dryers, on average, cause about 51 deaths, 380 injuries, and $236 million in property loss.  The leading cause of these types of fires, 34%, is failure to clean the dryer vents.

Why are dryer vents the leading cause of clothes dryer-related fires? 

While cleaning the lint filter in your dryer does lower the risk of starting a fire, it doesn't abolish it completely.  Despite common belief, lint filters don't catch everything.  Lint tends to get trapped in the vent connected to your dryer.  This vent heats up every time your dryer is being used and with nowhere for the trapped lint to escape the heat, it becomes a fire hazard.  That is why professionals recommend getting your dryer vents cleaned at least once a year.

How do I know when my vents need to be cleaned?

There are a few obvious signs that appear when your vents need to be cleaned.  This includes: 

  • Clothes taking longer than normal to dry
  • Clothes are unusually hot to the touch when cycle is over
  • The laundry room heats up when the dryer is in use
  • Burning smells
  • Dryer stops working
  • Vent flap isn't opening

If any of these signs occur when partaking in your normal laundry routine, it may be time to call in a professional to make sure everything is clean and clear.  Fortunately, our team at SERVPRO of Parker and Northeast Hood Counties is trained and experienced in this field.  If you notice any of these things happening or if it has been over a year since your last vent cleaning, give us a call! 817-596-8714

Too Hot to Handle

3/23/2021 (Permalink)

The idea of gathering around a bonfire with a group of friends is frequently thought about as the spring season approaches.  With this in mind, it's important to know how to safely go about this smoky activity.  Here's a few tips you may consider following to ensure your BBQ only cooks the food on the table.

  • Keep the fire contained by constructing a fire pit.
  • Avoid lighting an outdoor fire in high winds.
  • Ensure that there is a bucket of water and a water hose nearby incase of emergency.
  • Don't use lighter fluid once the fire has been started.
  • Make sure to put the fire out completely by stirring the ashes around and dousing with water.

Following these five tips will aid in preventing your fire from becoming "too hot to handle".

Fire Safety Precautions

1/22/2020 (Permalink)

How often do you think about the common accidents that could happen in your home? It is easy to get into the flow of everyday life, and forget the small things that could make a huge difference. For example, leaving your lights and appliances on or plugged in. While our technology is improving every day, man made things are still faulty. This is why it is important to take certain precautions for you and your home. Over 50,000 homes are affected by electrical fires alone per year. We want to give you the best advice we can, to prevent this happening to you, our loyal customers. Purchasing a fire extinguisher, a smoke alarm, or extra circuit protectors are some of the few things that SERVPRO highly recommends you should buy for your home. Before you leave your house for the day make sure you unplug unnecessary things like lamps, hair straighteners, games consoles, etcetera. SERVPRO of Parker and Northeast Hood Counties wants you to be in the safest position possible when you are in the comfort of your home. Give us a call today for any questions you may have. (817)596-8714

Smoke Particles in the Air

1/17/2020 (Permalink)

Why lingering smoke smells in your home are dangerous. When the remaining smell of a house fire lingers in a home, it can be dangerous to you and your pets. Particles in the air from the smoke may linger. Even though our eyes cannot see the dangerous particles in the air, we are breathing it and it is there. Many times, diy smoke removal methods include using harsh chemicals. Things like ammonia, bleach, or vinegar are used to “remove” smells. These cleaning methods will leave toxic smells and particles in the air that you breathe. Thus, leaving you with more chemicals in your home than before. While these methods sometimes work for small jobs, more often than not a professional should be involved. If you have smoke damage in your home, please call your local SERVPRO professionals. SERVPRO of Parker and Northeast Hood Counties would be more than happy to clean your home of harsh smells and chemicals. Give us a call today! (817)596-8714

Handling a Small House Fire

1/17/2020 (Permalink)

Since SERVPRO of Parker and Northeast Hood Counties has dealt with many fire jobs in our several years of experience, we would like to share a few tips as to how to handle a small house fire. We want to start by saying that, obviously, fire is dangerous and spreads quickly. We want you to be safe and retain some skills just incase an accidental fire starts in or around your home. First and foremost, you should always have your own personal fire extinguisher. The first step you would take if a fire were to start would be using your extinguisher on the flames. Secondly, call 911. Emergency services is always there to help. The next step would be to open your doors AFTER THE FIRE IS OUT. From there, you wait for emergencies services, then call your local SERVPRO for a smoke smell removal, air filtration, and possible removal of burnt walls or counters. Call us (817)596-8714

Fire Cleanup Safety

1/14/2020 (Permalink)

When dealing with a fire catastrophe, SERVPRO of Parker and Northeast Hood Counties wants you to know that we take on the situation carefully and seriously. Our goal is to keep you safe while restoring and cleaning up the leftovers of the fire in your home. For your safety and convenience, SERVPRO offers the option of pack-outs &/or professional clothing washes (to remove smoke residue and smells). We want you to be taken care of in the midst of all the cleaning and possible tear-out. If you need fire clean-up and odor removal, do not hesitate to call us! We want to help and provide the best services to you for your satisfaction. SERVPRO of Parker and Northeast Hood Counties will be here for you! Call us (817)596-8714

Parker and NE Hood Counties Smoke and Soot Cleanup

12/22/2017 (Permalink)

Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate multiple cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.

SMOKE AND SOOT FACTS:

  • Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
  • Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.

DIFFERENT TYPES OF SMOKE:

Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber

  • Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.

Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood

  • Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.

Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire

  • Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor. 

Every fire is different, and that is why every fire needs to be handled carefully and assessed correctly in able to ensure the best for you and your family/business. If you have any questions about what SERVPRO of Parker and Northeast Hood Counties can do for you, call us at (817)596-8714